Monday, June 27, 2011

Last Week

It's been a busy time here! On Monday, I visited the landscape architecture department here at the U of A. I met with the director and a collaborator with the green roof project. I felt extremely welcomed and was impressed by their projects and the department's strong environmental mission. In every class, they stress more sustainable practices and water-conserving techniques (but they kind of have to here). It seems like they have a strong program, and many graduates have found good jobs. I really liked the feel of the department and the faculty-just the arid climate that I'm uncertain about. But graduate school is temporary at the same time.

Some pics from the department




     On Tuesday, I joined Fiona for a full day a field work. It gave me time to get out of Biosphere and lend a hand. It was enjoyable to work with her and Luzia, a PhD student, but we were out in the middle of desert, and the heat made the work very uncomfortable. Fiona's project deals with looking at infiltration rates near a certain type of desert bush. On Wednesday-Friday, I worked with the green roofs. On one of the days, Mitch and I were filmed. He was first interviewed and then the camera crews filmed me taking measurements and talking to him. Sometime in August, I'll get a chance to see what they made it into. It's nothing big-just some university clip on current research. The week did start getting very hectic when Mitch and I realized that an abstract for the Sustainable Water Management Conference was due that Friday, the 24th. I mentioned that the abstract was due the next day, and we got to work immediately. He sent me over some of his old abstracts, and I was able to reword some of his things and add my own twist to create my abstract. He edited the abstract for me on Thursday night, and I was ready to send it out Friday. We'll have to wait and see if my abstract is accepted. It will be in Portland, OR during March 18th-21st.

One thing exciting did happen when I was taking measurements. The green roof experimental plots are at the back of the Biosphere and near a small paved road. I saw something out of the corner of my eye, looked up, and saw a bobcat crossing the street heading from the Biosphere to the desert. I walked near it with my camera and got some nice shots. Poor thing-it looked hungry, thirsty, tired, and skinny.

Big Cat at the Biosphere



 Biosphere Deer-they are everywhere!

   On Friday, we drove in Tuscon to check out the Dia de San Juan festival. It was a small festival, but we were able to listen to a mariachi band and try some Mexican pastries. I tried this one that was wrapped in a flour-tortilla-like thing that was doused with Cinnamon and filled with a pudding or like Bavarian cream filling. So good! It didn't cross my mind to take a picture..I was just so ready to eat it! On Saturday, we went to a graduate school symposium from 8am-noon. It was informative but painfully early! During the first session, a panel of graduate students spoke about the demands of research projects, and then someone spoke about funding for graduate research. Next, we were joined by a couple of faculty members, and they answered our questions about applying to graduate school and what they expect from grad students. The whole thing was worthwhile and really made me realize that I need to really know for sure what I want to do before delving into a graduate program. It's much more of a time commitment and investment. I'm thinking more and more about taking a year to work if I'm undecided but will probably still apply to grad programs and differ. Who knows? I might have a decision in 6 months, have some funding/assistance, and feel ready to go. Always good to have options.

Off to more green roof data this week and hopefully a trip to San Diego for the 4th of July! More to come about that :)

No comments:

Post a Comment