Sunday, June 5, 2011

End of the first weekend at Biosphere 2

    Hey Guys!

    Saturday was a nice easy going day. I woke naturally at 6:30 from the rising sun but rolled around until 8am. I spend most of the morning reading and on the computer and started to explore around 4pm. I walked down the quiet road to what looked like a deserted group of houses and then decided to turn back. I saw some deer, a horse, some California quail, and rabbits. I tried to jog a bit but it was still too hot around 5. I had a nice, long conversation with mom and enjoyed the grassy area and the background of the desert and the Catalina Mountains. With this time alone, I did some stretches, push-ups, and sit-ups on the grassy area-my first "exercise" in a while. During the whole day, the compound was silent and lonely until two of the other interns showed up.
   Yesterday evening, the first two other interns arrived. Yay! Finally some company! Megan is from Kentucky and studying in Minnesota and Pin is from Thailand and studying in Boston. Later on at night, Fiona joined us after flying from NY. So far, everyone is really getting along, and everyone is really nice and personable. We all kind of eat the same things and act similarly. I'm excited to get to know them and have some fun times together!
    This morning we were walking along and ran into Noah, the first of the 3 guys to arrive. Together we all toured the Biosphere and then came back for lunch. Not much else to do today besides some reading and maybe some more walking/hiking. I've been looking for hiking trails but haven't been able to find any. I've walked through the desert, but the cactus are everywhere and it's difficult to make your way through.
   Tomorrow morning at 9:30 we'll meet our professors and for a tour-just seems like an introductory day. On Tuesday-Friday, we'll be taking the GRE prep course in the morning. I'm not sure if that continues through next week or not. The course will be a good review and help me get started with how/what to study. Hopefully, I'll score well on the test this summer and never have to think of it again! It'll be up to me to study while I'm here, but the other interns will be seniors as well next year and may encourage me to study more :)


Views of the campus














Flora







 Fauna










 Mountain Views








Evening Views






No comments:

Post a Comment